Wednesday 3 September 2014

Two books on my to-read list

I love to read. It's one of my favourite hobbies and i'm constantly on the hunt for new books to read.
I'm typically into romance novels and happy ending... blah blah blah, but recently I've become a little bit bored of reading the same story over and over again. A couple of months ago I made a goodreads account and i'm hooked, I love checking out and reading reviews on books and it's also opened my mind to different genres of books, some that I wouldn't normally pick up. 


Ten below zero by Whitney Barbetti.


“In here,” he said, pushing on the skin above my heart, “you're ten below zero. And you’re closer to death than I am.”

My name is Parker. My body is marked with scars from an attack I don’t remember. I don’t want to remember. I choose to live my life by observation, not through experience. While people are laughing and kissing and connecting, I’m in the corner. Watching them live. I’m indifferent to everything, everyone. The only emotion I feel with any kind of depth is annoyance, and I feel it often.

A text message sent to the wrong number proves to be my undoing.
His name is Everett, but I call him rude. He’s pushy, he’s arrogant, he crowds my personal space, and worst of all: he makes me feel.

He chooses to wear all black, all the time, as if he’s waiting to attend a funeral. Probably because he is.
Everett is dying. And he’s spending his final days living, truly living. In doing so, he’s forcing me to feel, to heal. To come face to face with the demons I suppressed in my memory.
He hurts me, he fulfills me, he completes me. And still, he's dying

Okay, so obviously there would have to be SOME sort of romance novel in my mission to step away from my normal reading routine... but this book seems different, it has more of an edge. Ten below zero has gained masses of rave reviews online and is currently no. 43 in the UK so I'm a little bit excited to read this!


The girl with all the gifts by M.R Carey.


"NOT EVERY GIFT IS A BLESSING
Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class.
When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh.
Melanie is a very special girl."

I read the first three chapters on the kindle sample books from amazon and I was sucked in, it's not normally the writing style I would go for but the book was so. damn. interesting, I felt a little bit lost when I reached the end of the sample... but I haven't read it yet? It's definitely next on my list and completely out of my comfort zone when it comes to reading, it's a thriller/horror and not a romance which is why I think I haven't read it yet!

What books have you been enjoying or are looking forward to reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment